Saturday 25 February 2012

Hello World

Hello World,
My name is Paul Meagher and I intend to write a book! A fantasy book. As you can see the list on my blog I am an avid reader of fantasy books. Sometimes when I'm reading a book I start to focus on what the author is actually writing. Most of the time I pass over these little bits of extra information. But if these "bits" are missing the story becomes much less "substantial". Thus recently I have begun to notice the skill and imagination required to write a good book.

Having said all that sometimes when I'm reading books I see plot holes and I find the author has made it too obvious what is too come. In other word I very ambitiously believe that I can do a better job. I realize how unlikely it is that I would be able to write a better book as I am but a 18 year old student. In any case I intend to take a stab at it.

So I opened up this amazing free application bubbl.us which is an extremely useful brainstorming application which helped me order my thoughts. I began to think of what I like in books. The biggest "thing" I love in fantasy books was the "Epic" sense. The bigger then life magical and out of life description. E.g. elves living in trees. Perfectly in tune with nature etc. <<< that idea

So I decided I wanted as many opportunities to portray this "sense" as possible. I then came up with the idea of "brotherhoods" ( I need another name for this concept as females will be involved so comments are welcome. I want it to be a fantasy name with no meaning in English language). There will be 5-8 of these brotherhoods. Each brotherhood will have there own "HQ" and a city will have grown around it. One will be high up in the mountains and will be loosely based on Buddhist's. The second will be based in caves. The Third in a forest (based on elves). the forth in a castle. the fifth in a city (ninjas / free runners) and the "lost ones" those who roam the countryside and live their own life. to enter a brotherhood one must be able to do magic. ( the technicalities will come in next blog). There will be as many main characters as there is brotherhoods. Each one will join a separate brotherhood and in their own unique way rise to power. Each brotherhood will have their own ranking system and 5 members from each brotherhood join together to make up the major council which rules the land. One member from each brotherhood will join to form the major council. Ultimately my 5-8 main character's will then be elected to the major council and will have to join forces to battle against a very evil invading force.

Comments are always welcome
Paul Meagher  

1 comment:

  1. I'm writing a fantasy novel too, and I'm in college too. My book is about a girl who is taken to the Fiji Islands and has to face a bunch of challenges before she can go home. Does that sound interesting? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete